Saturday, March 05, 2011

Spiritual Reading

'Let us imitate the bees, that pass not from one flower to another until they have gathered all the honey found in the first' 
St Alphonsus Liguori

This year I have decided to do some Lenten reading. I am an avid reader so reading in its self is nothing new but I want to make my reading over the next few weeks something more significant. It is easy to race through a good book and not really think on what one is reading, allowing  those thoughts to penetrate and transform.

St Alphonsus Liguori , a 17th century Catholic  bishop and theologian suggests these points for the discipline of spiritual reading.
  • pray before reading
  • do not read simply to gain knowledge or from curiosity but to grow in the love of God.
  • read slowly and with attention 'masticate and ponder well'
  • when something strikes you read it a second time
  • pray again
  • When you have finished reading select a thought to take away with you. 'as you would carry a flower from a garden of pleasure'
Now I have to decide what I am going to read , I have a couple of ideas.

With the children I am thinking of reading Hinds Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard.
Another good suggestion for children's Lent reading is Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis.


This is, of course, in addition to regular bible reading so it's going to take a bit of discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment